Saturday, November 8, 2008

I feel old

Late last night the baby was sleeping uneasily next to me, congestion making sleep difficult for him. I was wide awake, listening to his gurgling breath, and unable to sleep. My thoughts were spinning around in my head restlessly so I decided it would help if I talked to someone. The internet is a wonderful place because at any given moment of any day, there are people available to talk to. I logged on to a discussion group and there were several people there already engaged in conversation. It didn't take long to realize that I was the oldest person there. The conversations circled around fashion, gossip, buying tshirts and designer jeans. I logged off not long after signing in.

Was there ever a time where my biggest concern was how many tshirts I owned and which corporate logos they sported? Somewhere between debts, diapers, daycare, deadlines, the dead-beat dad, and life-altering decisions I slipped from my carefree young adulthood to being a grown-up. Did having a child do this to me? More importantly, is there any way to make it go away?

1 comment:

Nana said...

The only way if for the child to go away and that is something you would never get over and wish every day you had those concerns about diapers, daycare, coughs, and everything else that goes along with being a mother. Its just like you told me not long ago, "you never really knew love until Connor was born", there is nothing better in the world than being a Mommie, even with all its changes in life. Just enjoy every day you have with your wonderful, loving son, one day he will be grown and going out on his own and you will wonder where did the time go and how did this happen.