Friday, January 9, 2009

The Frugal Diet - Tips and Suggestion Requests

Here are some tips I have for saving money while eating healthier and lighter, and while we are on the topic, I would love to hear suggestions from other people!

Diet Drinks:

The hardest thing for me when I am trying to lose weight is avoiding soda. There are diet drinks available, but they tend to have the problem of being icky or expensive.

Diet Coke - Awful aftertaste
Coke Zero- Good, but can be expensive.

I have found, much to my delight that the Publix Brand sodas are pretty good, and at $.68 for a 2-liter, you can't beat the price. I recommend Diet Black Cherry. I honestly can't tell that it is a diet drink and I LOVE the flavor.

Fuze has several 10 Calorie per serving flavors, and has the added benefit of added vitamins. It is rather expensive, though. However, Kroger currently has this on a 10 for 10 sale, so if you read this in time, I suggest going and stocking up. It, obviously, isn't as good as a deal as the Publix soda, but if you like it this is a cheap way to pick it up.

Coffee - If you work in an office, there is a good chance that it is free. If not, it is still very economical to make. I have discovered that it is an excellent appetite suppressant, and if you use Splenda or some other sugar alternative to sweeten and low-cal creamer it can have a only a small impact on your calorie intake and has the added benefit of waking you up a little.

Ok, that's all I have for the moment. I will post more as the come along. I expect to make The Frugal Diet a weekly topic if I can.

Progress so far? -0.8

14.2lbs to go! We're counting down!

2 comments:

Stephanie F. said...

Good for you! I don't really drink soda or coffee very much but thanks for the tips. I think this would make a great weekly topic!!

Keep up the good work!

Stephanie F. said...

Hey! I wrote a blog post in response to this blog post of yours. Check it out here: http://srf99.wordpress.com/2009/01/17/frugal-diet-tips/